South Korean President Lee Jae Myung expressed regret to Pyongyang on Monday over drones sent into North Korea earlier this year, actions he called “irresponsible”.
South Korea initially denied any official role in the January drone incursion – with authorities suggesting it was the work of civilians – but Lee said an investigation had revealed government officials had been involved.
“Although this was not the intention of our government, we express our regret to the North that unnecessary military tensions were caused by the irresponsible and reckless actions of a few individuals,” Lee said during a cabinet meeting.
Advertisement
North Korea warned in February of a “terrible response” if it detected more drones crossing the border from the South, prompting Seoul to investigate the claims.

Pyongyang said it downed a drone carrying “surveillance equipment” in early January.
Advertisement

Don't Miss:
-
Hong Kong police arrest 2 men allegedly linked to HK$500,000 phishing scam
-
Israel-Turkey tensions rise after Netanyahu orders strikes on Syrian airbase
-
Chinese man reunites with family after 25 years in total isolation to honour a promise
-
Customs seizes endangered turtles and parrots in 2 cases, arrests woman
-
Albanese: Canberra to join Australia’s gun buy-back programme after Bondi attack

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison