
US President Donald Trump has said that leaders of Israel and Lebanon will speak on Thursday, as Washington pushes to ease hostilities after the rivals’ first direct talks in decades.
Lebanon was pulled into the Middle East war on March 2 after pro-Tehran group Hezbollah attacked Israel.
Since then, Israeli strikes have killed more than 2,000 people and displaced more than a million in Lebanon, despite international calls for a ceasefire, and Israeli ground forces have invaded the country’s south.
Advertisement
“Trying to get a little breathing room between Israel and Lebanon,” Trump said Wednesday on his Truth Social platform, referring to a meeting held in Washington the day before – the first direct negotiations between senior officials from the two countries since 1993.
He said the leaders would speak on Thursday. “It has been a long time since the two leaders have spoken, like 34 years,” he said, without identifying participants or giving further details.
Advertisement
Meanwhile on Wednesday, Israel’s cabinet met to discuss a possible ceasefire, a senior Israeli official said. Lebanese officials believe a deal could be announced soon, according to the Financial Times.

Don't Miss:
-
China and US push Southeast Asia over their AI blocs. Will it test region’s non-alignment?
-
Man armed with sword injures several at Swedish high school
-
Ex-care home worker accused of raping intellectually disabled woman 5 times
-
Tesla forced to recall record 3 million cars in China over door-handle issue
-
OpenAI-backed legal tech firm pivots to Chinese Kimi K3 open-weight model

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison