
A Hongkonger has been rescued from Myanmar and transferred to Thailand after being held captive and forced to do illegal work, in an ordeal he described as a “horror movie”.
The Security Bureau on Saturday said its dedicated task force had earlier received a request for help from the 25-year-old man who was trapped in Myanmar.
It then liaised with the Chinese embassies in Myanmar and Thailand, the city’s economic and trade office in Bangkok and Thai authorities to launch a joint operation.
Advertisement
The bureau also dispatched officers to Thailand on Friday, the same day when the man was rescued and transferred to the country.
“The Hong Kong resident said he felt like he was in a horror movie over the past few days and thanked the task force members for travelling to Thailand to save him from detention,” the bureau said in a statement without providing further details.
Advertisement
Arrangements were made for the man to meet his family in Thailand after he was assessed to be in good mental and physical condition.
His family said they had “learned a precious lesson and commended the speedy and effective rescue mission”.

Don't Miss:
-
Israel targets ‘terrorist’ in southern Syria; Damascus condemns attack
-
7 dead in UK after vehicle travelling in wrong direction hits police car
-
Ukrainian drones kill at least 10, hit warehouse of Russian online retailer Ozon
-
Canada’s PM hits back with new US tariffs after trade talks fail
-
Elderly woman allegedly pressured into spending HK$100,000 on beauty products

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison