An independent committee investigating the Tai Po blaze, which broke out on November 26 last year and killed 168 people, on Monday also called on the public to provide information on whether systematic problems – such as collusion – had occurred in building maintenance works elsewhere and whether the tendering process involved bid rigging.
The judge-led panel, which was earlier told that at least two bid-rigging syndicates could be linked to the HK$336 million (US$43 million) renovation contract at the fire-ravaged Wang Fuk Court, continued to hear more irregularities concerning the troubled project on the fifth day of the public hearing.

Electrical worker Wong Kin-wa of the estate’s fire services equipment contractor, Victory Fire Engineering, said he had found that the main power switches for both the fire alarms and firefighting pumps for all eight of Wang Fuk Court’s blocks were turned off during a maintenance visit on November 19 last year.
Advertisement
Wong said he found the situation surprising. “We believed it was necessary to study the reason behind it,” he said.
Advertisement
He recalled inquiring at the estate’s management office and asking for the shutdown notice, which must be submitted to the Fire Services Department, but staff failed to show it to him.

Don't Miss:
-
Vance and Rubio emerge as early contenders to inherit Trump’s Republican Party
-
India raises diesel, petrol prices for third time in 8 days, amid tense US-Iran ceasefire
-
Is China building the world’s largest naval support ship?
-
Three Mexican Meth Cooks Arrested at Drug Lab in Nigeria
-
New Zealand to invest almost US$1 billion in drones, ships to protect maritime security

Trump, Xi, and a Defining Moment for the World
David Lapp on the Case Against Forcing Residential Consumers to Pay for Skyrocketing Data Center Costs
Elizabeth Burch on the Dark Side of the Tort Bar