
A former lawmaker and doctor who was previously imprisoned for conspiracy to commit subversion has been struck off Hong Kong’s register of medical practitioners, becoming the first national security-related disciplinary case to involve the profession.
In a ruling handed down on Thursday, the Medical Council ordered that specialist urologist Dr Kwok Ka-ki, 64, be removed indefinitely from the General Register, which took immediate effect upon publication in the government gazette.
Kwok, once a member of the now-defunct Civic Party, did not attend the hearing and was not legally represented. The former lawmaker took to social media to slam the council’s decision.
Advertisement
“I am not surprised. When teachers are barred from teaching, social workers are prevented from helping those in need, and lawyers are stopped from practising law, it is only expected that I too would be deprived of my right to practise medicine,” he said.
Looking back on his career, he said he had served countless patients and fought as a lawmaker to strengthen Hong Kong’s healthcare system.
Advertisement
“I may need to change course, but I still consider helping those in need to be my mission … I still hold hope for the future,” he said.
Kwok added that there was no need for his supporters to grieve or despair, and instead called on them to continue living well.

Don't Miss:
-
China and US push Southeast Asia over their AI blocs. Will it test region’s non-alignment?
-
Man armed with sword injures several at Swedish high school
-
Ex-care home worker accused of raping intellectually disabled woman 5 times
-
Tesla forced to recall record 3 million cars in China over door-handle issue
-
OpenAI-backed legal tech firm pivots to Chinese Kimi K3 open-weight model

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison