US law enforcement officials are reassessing security arrangements after a gunman opened fire near the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, raising questions about how he was able to get so close to an event attended by President Donald Trump, cabinet members and lawmakers.
Two former Secret Service agents and three senior US officials told Reuters on Sunday that federal agents appeared to carry out their plan to protect the president effectively on Saturday night, stopping the alleged gunman before he reached the basement level of the Washington Hilton, where Trump was set to speak.
But the fact that some attendees could hear the shots fired at a Secret Service agent underscored vulnerabilities, the officials said, even after a pair of assassination attempts against Trump during the 2024 campaign had already prompted stronger measures around the president’s security.
Advertisement
The Secret Service did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The most obvious lesson from the incident, the former law enforcement officials said, was that security personnel may need to expand the protective perimeter around the president at large public venues, even if that leads to public inconvenience.
Advertisement

Don't Miss:
-
Russian drone strikes on Ukraine shopping centre kill 16, injure 130
-
Young Chinese women dye armpit hair as fashion statement and expression of bodily autonomy
-
Hong Kong physiotherapists face job crunch amid oversupply and budget cuts
-
Why Hong Kong’s SK Hynix fund stayed at full leverage amid market volatility
-
Malaysia’s Anwar traded reform for power. Now Umno wants it all

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison