The United States imposed sanctions on Tuesday on the International Criminal Court’s president and a senior trial lawyer at the court, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
The move is the latest escalation in the Trump administration’s campaign against The Hague-based court, which was established in 2002 by the international community to prosecute war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity.
The US is not a member of the court.
Rubio said in a statement that he was imposing sanctions on Tomoko Akane, a Japanese judge who is president of the International Criminal Court, and Abdoulaye Seye, a senior trial lawyer and a Senegalese national, under a Trump executive order last year authorising sanctions against the court.
“These individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction,” Rubio said.

The ICC condemned the move, saying in a statement that the measures undermine the rule of law.

Don't Miss:
-
After years, Macau firm opts out of Hong Kong renewal project, seeks US$153m for site
-
US Democrats rebuke Trump for easing sanctions on Beijing, Hong Kong officials
-
The InSight Take: The Shield of the Americas Grows, But Does it Have a Strategy?
-
How China got caught in the crossfire of a US bacon fight
-
US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for 4 days in the Pacific

Xi Embraces Jiang to Hold onto Power
President Lee Gambles on Computer Chips for Political Survival
Bangladesh’s ousted dictator vows to return home