
US President Donald Trump announced a project that will start on Monday to help stranded ships leave the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran has effectively closed, but offered few details.
In a social media post on Sunday, Trump said “neutral and innocent” countries have been affected by the Iran war and “we have told these Countries that we will guide their Ships safely out of these restricted Waterways, so that they can freely and ably get on with their business”.
“Project Freedom” would begin on Monday morning in the Middle East, Trump said, adding that his representatives are having discussions with Iran that could lead to something “very positive for all”.
Advertisement
Iran’s grip on the strait, imposed after the United States and Israel launched the war on February 28, has shaken global markets.
Trump spoke hours after Iran said it was reviewing the US response to its latest proposal to end the war but made clear these are not nuclear negotiations.
Advertisement
A cargo ship near the Strait of Hormuz said it was attacked by multiple small craft, the British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations centre reported earlier on Sunday. It was the latest in at least two dozen attacks in and around the strait since the Iran war began.

Don't Miss:
-
China and US push Southeast Asia over their AI blocs. Will it test region’s non-alignment?
-
Man armed with sword injures several at Swedish high school
-
Ex-care home worker accused of raping intellectually disabled woman 5 times
-
Tesla forced to recall record 3 million cars in China over door-handle issue
-
OpenAI-backed legal tech firm pivots to Chinese Kimi K3 open-weight model

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison