“We sincerely apologise to the public for the concern caused by the accident that occurred in 2021,” an air force spokesman said in a press briefing, adding that one of the pilots involved had been suspended from flying duties, received severe disciplinary action and has since left the military.
The apology followed a report released on Wednesday by the state Board of Audit and Inspection, which found that unplanned manoeuvres for personal filming led to the collision between two F-15K jets during a formation flight near the city of Daegu in December 2021.
Auditors said a wingman pilot attempted to record images to mark his final flight with the unit, sharply climbing and banking the aircraft without clearance to improve the camera angle while another pilot filmed video from the lead jet.
Advertisement
As the aircraft closed in, both crews attempted evasive action, but the wingman’s tail struck the lead jet’s wing, causing about 880 million South Korean won (US$600,000) in damage. No one was injured.
The audit board held the wingman pilot primarily responsible, but also criticised the air force for lax controls on in-flight filming at the time, ordering the pilot to repay about a 10th of the repair costs.
Advertisement
The air force said it was taking steps to tighten flight safety rules and prevent a repeat of the incident.

Don't Miss:
-
China and US push Southeast Asia over their AI blocs. Will it test region’s non-alignment?
-
Man armed with sword injures several at Swedish high school
-
Ex-care home worker accused of raping intellectually disabled woman 5 times
-
Tesla forced to recall record 3 million cars in China over door-handle issue
-
OpenAI-backed legal tech firm pivots to Chinese Kimi K3 open-weight model

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison