
Hong Kong has held onto its crown as the exclusive regional home of Art Basel for the next five years, the culture minister has announced, after a deal was struck to secure the partnership as the city looks to enhance its status as an international art-trading hub.
Some galleries at a preview for the local edition of the world-renowned annual art fair told the South China Morning Post that global uncertainties had prompted collectors to take a greater interest in buying works from established artists that retained value.
“We reached an agreement with Art Basel and confirmed that in the next five years, Hong Kong will be the exclusive host of this important fair in the region, which is of great significance,” Secretary for Culture, Sports and Tourism Rosanna Law Shuk-pui said.
Advertisement
“We look forward to partnering with Art Basel to further elevate Hong Kong as a world-class art trading platform.”
She added that the event’s local edition would expand its scale and reach over the next five years, noting that it had already attracted at least 80,000 visitors annually in 2024 and 2025.
Advertisement
The latest iteration of the art fair is set to run from Friday to Sunday. The event will be held in Wan Chai and will host 240 leading galleries from countries such as Australia, Japan, Turkey, the Netherlands, France, Spain and the United States.

Don't Miss:
-
Israel targets ‘terrorist’ in southern Syria; Damascus condemns attack
-
7 dead in UK after vehicle travelling in wrong direction hits police car
-
Ukrainian drones kill at least 10, hit warehouse of Russian online retailer Ozon
-
Canada’s PM hits back with new US tariffs after trade talks fail
-
Elderly woman allegedly pressured into spending HK$100,000 on beauty products

After Years of Waiting, Noel Tata Presides Unchallenged over India’s Biggest Business
Despite years of confiscations, the Met still holds hundreds of pieces linked to alleged trafficking and looting figures
Ex-Evergrande Boss Hui Ka Yan gets Life in Prison